South Veterans Parkway
The South Veterans Parkway project is a partnership with the South Dakota Department of Transportation (SDDOT) and the City of Sioux Falls.
May 2023 Construction Update
Construction of the southern portion of Veterans Parkway will begin in June 2023 and will occur in segments, with each segment taking about two years to complete. The section of new road from Western Avenue to Cliff Avenue will be constructed first starting in June 2023 through 2024. The other three segments of the project are still being designed. Learn more about segments 2, 3, & 4.
Western Avenue to Cliff Avenue Construction
- Construction will begin in June 2023.
- Work will include utility improvements and road work on Cliff Avenue.
- Construction work with traffic impacts will occur on Cliff Avenue and Minnesota Avenue near the new South Veterans Parkway in 2023 and on Western Avenue in 2024.
- Additional information will be shared at a construction kick-off informational open house on Thursday, June 1, 2023.
Segment 2: I-29 to Western Avenue
Construction: 2024-2025Learn more
Segment 1: Western Avenue to Cliff Avenue
Construction: 2023-2024Learn more
Segment 3: Cliff Avenue to Sycamore Avenue
Construction: 2025-2026Learn more
Segment 4: Sycamore Avenue to 57th Street
Construction: 2026-2027Learn more
Click or tap on the icons to learn more about each segment of the new South Veterans Parkway.
What to Expect During Construction
- Construction work Monday - Saturday
- Construction materials and equipment
- Trucks hauling materials
- Noise during construction work hours
- Dust management
About the Project
When connected to the northern segment of Veterans Parkway, the additional nine miles of roadway for South Veterans Parkway will support a regional arterial road network around southeast Sioux Falls. This project — the final stage in connecting Interstate 29 with Interstate 90 — will accommodate growing transportation needs across the corridor and help prepare the greater Sioux Falls area for continued vibrant growth and development.
Construction is anticipated to begin on the first road segment between Western Avenue and Cliff Avenue in the spring of 2023. Design for the other three segments will simultaneously be underway, beginning with design for segment two of the project, which runs from I-29 to Western Avenue. The three additional segments for South Veterans Parkway will be constructed over the following years until the corridor is completed in 2027. Learn more about each segment.
- 2021 - Environmental Planning and Design
- 2022 - Design and Real Estate Acquisition
- 2023 to 2024 - Segment 1: Western Avenue to Cliff Avenue (we are here)
- 2024 to 2025 - Segment 2: I-29 to Western Avenue
- 2025 to 2026 - Segment 3: Cliff Avenue to Sycamore Avenue
- 2026 to 2027 - Segment 4: Sycamore Avenue to 57th Street
- Increased traffic flow
- Corridor connectivity
- Accommodate public and private investment